Teaching & Learning in Phonics
Phonics is all about using –
Skills for reading and spelling plus Knowledge of the alphabet.
Learning phonics will help your child to become a good reader and writer.
Every day the children between 20 – 30 minute sessions of phonics.
Fast paced approach.
We use the Letters and Sounds planning document to support the teaching of phonics and Jolly Phonics.
There are 6 phonics phases which the children work through at their own pace.
- Phonemes: The smallest units of sound that are found within a word
- Grapheme: The spelling of the sound e.g. Th
- Diagraph: Two letters that make one sound when read
- Trigraphs: Three letters that make one sound
- CVC: Stands for consonant, vowel, consonant.
- Segmenting is breaking up a word into its sounds.
- Blending : Putting the sounds together to read a word
Tricky words: Words that cannot easily be decoded
Saying the sounds
Sounds should be articulated clearly and precisely.
Tricky Word List to Practice Spelling & Reading